SHEBOYGAN, Wis. (WHBL) -- Sheboygan County officials are filing charges against the Waldo man under investigation for a February explosion at his home.
Sheboygan County District Attorney Joe DeCecco says 42-year-old Daniel Shilts Junior will make his initial appearance on Tuesday morning. DeCecco says that those charges are not being revealed until the time of the appearance.
Last month, DeCecco said that charges might take a while to processes because of the sheer number of agencies that had gotten involved in the incident. That included the National Guard, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the Milwaukee County Bomb Squad and more. He had also stated that he might not even be filing any charges if there were federal charges coming in the case.
Police were originally called to Shilts' home in Waldo after a report of an explosion on February 20th. Officers found him unharmed, and he allegedly told them at the time it was a welding accident. Further investigation found explosive making materials in his home, which lead to an evacuation and the call for the outside federal agencies for help.
Shilts has a past with explosives with charges stemming from previous incidents. Shilts remains on parole from a 2008 conviction of possession of explosives, and he violated that sentence in 2012 when he was again found with explosives. That violation sent him to prison. Shilts is in custody on a probation hold.